Test is the best way to validate your application, but how do you know that it’s working as intended? This answer is Performance Testing. It involves automating tests that measure application performance. At the end of the day, performance testing helps improve website/app speed and availability for real users. It is an important part of software testing because its main focus is to monitor high traffic on servers and websites plus its main goal is to determine if your website is showing signs of slow response time and whether it can handle heavy volumes, or not. This post will introduce 10 open source performance testing tools for web applications. Let’s get started:
LoadNinja by SmartBear allows you to quickly create scriptless sophisticated load tests, reduce testing time by 50%, replace load emulators with real browsers, and get actionable, brower-based metrics, all at ninja speed. You can easily capture client-side interactions, debug in real time, and identify performance problems immediately. LoadNinja empowers teams to increase their test coverage without sacrificing quality by removing the tedious efforts of dynamic correlation, script translation, and script scrubbing. With LoadNinja, engineers, testers and product teams can focus more on building apps that scale and less on building load testing scripts.
- Scriptless load test creation & playback with InstaPlay recorder
- Real browser load test execution at scale
- VU Debugger – debug tests in real time
- VU Inspector – manage virtual user activity in real time.
- Hosted on the cloud, no server machine & upkeep required
- Sophisticated browser-based metrics with analytics and reporting features
- HTTP, HTTPS, SAP GUI Web, WebSocket, Java based protocol, Google Web Toolkit, Oracle forms, & more
SmartMeter.io is an alternative to JMeter and aims to fix its drawbacks. It is one of the best performance testing tools that allows for easy scriptless test scenario creation using the so-called Recorder, yet still lets you make advanced edits of the test. It also excels in test reporting and makes use of functions such as automatic test criteria evaluation, test runs comparison and trend analysis. It fully supports CI/CD integration. Available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- This load test software provides scriptless test scenario creation
- Comprehensive reporting with automatic evaluation and test runs comparison
- GUI test run with real time results
- State of the art response body extractor (Boundary body extractor)
- CI/CD ready
- HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP
WebLOAD is an enterprise-scale load testing solution capable of generating reliable, real life load scenarios, even for the most complex systems, with smart analytics providing performance insights.
WebLOAD is based on a flexible platform with built in support for hundreds of technologies and integration with many tools from CI/CD pipelines to monitoring.
- WebLOAD is offered on the Cloud (SAAS) or as an On-Prem deployment
- Flexible test scenario creation
- Supports every major web technology and easily extendible
- Automatic bottleneck detection
- Easy-to-reach customer support
- HTTP, HTTPS, HTTP/2, XML, Single Page Application, RESTful Web Services, and more
Rational Performance Tester
Rational Performance Tester(RPT) is a performance testing tool developed by IBM Corporation. It is performance test creation, execution, and analysis tool that helps development team to validate the scalability and reliability of web based applications before deployment into production.
There are good features which gives confidence to the users that all performance related bottlenecks are resolved. Following are some of the features of this tool:
- No coding involved
- It is one of the best performance testing tools that provides scheduled and event based testing
- Real time reporting for immediate performance problem identification
- It is one of the best website performance testing tools that can run with large multi users tests
- Accurate user profile workloads
- This load test software has automated test data variation
- Automatic identification of dynamic server responses
- Performs the website load test with rendered HTML view of web pages visited during test recordings
- Environment and Platform support
- Entrust security protocol support
- Java code insertion for customization
- Citrix, Socket Recording, Web HTTP, SOA, SAP, XML, Websphere, Weblogic
Kobiton offers flexible real device access options that include a public cloud, private cloud, and on-premises. With Kobiton’s Performance Testing capabilities, users can integrate real device testing with Load and Stress testing solutions. This can be done manually, with automation via script-based solutions like Appium, and using Kobiton’s AI-driven scriptless engine. With Kobiton, you have a platform solution that allows for insight into app and device-specific performance metrics that easily integrates with solutions like NeoLoad or JMeter.
- Kobiton’s device lab management will let you connect with devices in the cloud, your local on-premises devices as well as on-desk devices.
- Create automated test scripts from manual tests and are executable on multiple devices simultaneously.
- Users can test crucial app and website-specific performance with Kobiton’s Payload capture
- Automatic test case generation from the manual session
Micro Focus Silk Performer
Silk Performer tool is an enterprise class load and stress testing tool and has the ability to test multiple application environments with the thousands of concurrent users. It is one of the best performance testing tools which supports the widest range of protocols.
There are many good load and stress test features in Silk Performer and those are listed as follows:
- Components -> Workbench, True Log Explorer and Performance Explorer
- Requires minimum hardware resources for virtual user simulation
- Simulates modifiable virtual users
- This load test tool Supports integrated server monitoring
- Customer friendly licensing
- Correlation and Parameterization is user friendly
- No License requirement for Controllers or Individual Protocols
- Handles Load Test in Project approach
- Generates reports with tables and graphs and allows customization.
- This stress testing tool supports six models of workloads.
- This load tester tool provides Agent Health Control
- Stress test website with server side diagnostics
- Resource Management
- It is one of the best website performance testing tools that provides Version Control Management
- HTTP/HTML, HTTPS/HTML, HTTP/HTTPS, Flash, Email (SMTP/ POP), FTP, TCP/IP, LDAP, XML/SOAP, .NET and many more
HeadSpin allows you to optimize digital experiences with it’s performance testing capabilities. It can help users to continuously monitor, identify, resolve and optimize performance issues across applications, devices, networks, and 3rd-party interfaces. The HeadSpin Global Device Infrastructure provides actual, real-world data removing ambiguity from all the various devices, networks, and locations
Accelerate development and innovation. Ensure digital business success with HeadSpin’s AI testing and dev-ops collaboration platform.
- Monitor and optimize performance across the entire user journey
- Performance data from real-world conditions
- Leverage advanced AI capabilities to automatically identify performance issues in testing before they impact users.
- Test on thousands of real devices in hundred-plus locations with SIM card-enabled devices.
JMeter is an open source tool that can be used for performance testing for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. It is one of the best performance testing tools that is mainly used as website load testing tools for web service applications.
- This free tool doesn’t demand state of the art infrastructure for load testing and supports multiple load injectors managed by a single controller
- It is one of the performance test tools which is highly portable and supports 100% all the Java based apps
- Less scripting efforts as compared to other api performance testing tools because of its user-friendly GUI
- Simple charts and graphs sufficient for analyzing key load related statistics and resource usage monitors.
- Supports Integrated real-time, Tomcat collectors for Monitoring
- Web: HTTP, HTTPS, WebServices : XML, SOAP, etc., Java based protocols, FTP
StresStimulus targets application scenarios that are difficult to test with other tools. It automatically fixes playback errors thanks to its proprietary autocorrelation. StresStimulus records user actions and replays them to emulate variable usage patterns. It also monitors load impact on application responsiveness and server infrastructure. The result analyzer finds hidden concurrency errors left unexposed by functional testing and includes detailed application performance metrics.
- End-to-end Test Wizard covers all steps from recording to test results, which reduces the learning curve
- On-premise or cloud testing supported with multiple load generators
- Works as a stand-alone tool or Fiddler add-on
- Exports script to Visual Studio test format to help with scenarios that fail when recorded in Visual Studio directly
- Manual scripting is not required but available; supports three scripting languages
Performance testing is an integral part of discovering and resolving bottlenecks and outages in a system. Additionally, understanding performance trends over time can help with capacity planning and anticipating bottlenecks before they happen. Performance testing measures how well an application will perform in the future by stressing it with an overload of simultaneous users. But there are many performance tools that exist and it can be hard to figure out which ones are best suited to your project’s needs.