Do you want to learn about open source static code analysis tools, static analysis tools, source code analysis tools and other programming open source projects? Then you are at the right place. This post contains various dynamic code analysis tools, static code analyzers and other programming open source projects and in this post, I am going to tell You how these open source software help you to write better codes.
A superfast and powerful source code analysis tool for commonly used most popular programming languages, thorough scan tools, VisualCodeGrepper is an automated tool for C, C++, C#, VB, PHP, Java, PL/SQL, and COBOL which drastically speed up the code review process by identifying the insecure code. It tries to find phrases within comments that can indicate broken code and provides detailed reports through stats and pie charts. It has some awesome features which make it very useful to anyone conducting code analysis, especially when time is costly:
- Using this tool you can analyze most of the modern as well as the old popular programming language like C, C++, Java, PHP, COBOL, etc. Just specify the language you are using to properly identify and analyze the code.
- You can run several scan operations depending upon the type and complexity of your project. Among the possible operations, it helps you to trigger a full scan process for code and during this process, a new window brought up instantly with chard displaying each component for better analysis.
- Provides a nice pie chart for the entire codebase which shows relative proportions of code, whitespace, comments, and bad code.
- Displayed a list to view each project along with the possible errors, security flaws number of comments, percentage of the whole project, and potentially unsafe flags and bits of code.
- Performs many complex checks and allows you to add any bad functions that you want to search for with a config file for each language.
- Attempts to find a range of phrases within comments that can indicate broken code.
- Searches intelligently to find buffer overflows and signed or unsigned comparisons.
It is a free tool specially designed to find common security issues in Python code. It processes each file with appropriate plugins and generates a detailed report of possible security bugs in the python code. It is open-source software with Apache License 2.0. This tool can be used during development or afterward to find common security issues in Python code before putting the code in production or to use this tool to analyze existing projects and find possible flaws.
- Command-line interface to scan your python code.
- Supports CSV, HTML or JSON files.
- Allows specifying the path of a baseline report for ignoring known vulnerabilities that you believe are non-issues.
- Version control integration using pre-commit.
- Allows users to write and register extensions for checks and formatters.
- Being an open-source project contribution to Bandit is always welcome
Reshift is a SaaS-based software platform that helps software development teams identify more vulnerabilities faster in their own code before deploying to production.
Reducing the cost and time of finding and fixing vulnerabilities, identifying the potential risk of data breaches, and helping software companies achieve compliance and regulatory requirements.
Embold is an intelligent software analytics platform that supports developers and teams in building higher quality software in less time, by speeding up code reviews.
It automatically prioritizes hotspots in the code and provides clear visualizations. With its multi-vector diagnostic technology, it analyses software from multiple lenses, including software design, and enables users to manage and improve their software quality transparently.
You can run Embold on the cloud, or for IntelliJ IDEA users, download a free plugin directly in your IDE.
SmartBear Collaborator is a code review tool that is suitable for remote as well as co-located teams. It has comprehensive review capabilities to review various documents like design, requirements, documentation, user stories, test plans, and source code.
It can be integrated with GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket, Jira, Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc. For the proof of review, it offers the features of electronic signatures. It provides detailed reports. The tool can be used by businesses of any size.
SmartBear contains many more features like tracking & managing defects, customizing review templates, collaborating on software artifacts & documents, etc. It can be tried for free and the price starts at $554 per year for a 5 user pack.
Parasoft, no doubt one of the best tools for Static Analysis Testing. This is slightly different when compared to other static analysis tools because of its ability to support various types of static analysis techniques like Pattern Based, Flow-Based, Third Party Analysis, and Metrics and Multivariate analysis.
Another good thing about the tool is beside identifying defects it allows provides a feature that prevents defects.
It is a free and open-source code vulnerability scanner and specially designed for the Ruby on Rails applications. It is a static code analyzer that scans the Rails application code to find security issues at any stage during development. Unlike many other web security scanners, this tool looks at the source code of your application hence there’s no need to set up the whole application stack to use it. After scanning the application code, it produces a detailed report for all the security issues.
- Just run this tool without any necessary configuration. It requires no prior setups or configuration once it is installed.
- Run It Anytime, at any stage of the development process. Just generate a new application with rails new and check instantly,
- Provide more complete coverage of an application. This analyzer can identify security vulnerabilities before they become exploitable.
- Provides Flexible Testing, each check performed is independent, so testing can be flexible with Barkman,
- It is much faster than “black box” website scanners and even the large applications can be scanned within a few minutes
it is a free, simple program that scans C or C++ source code which identifies possible security flaws quickly and produces a report sorted by risk level. It is available as open-source software and is very useful for quickly finding and removing potential security issues before the program is widely released to the public. It is very easy to use and specifically designed to be easy to install with python’s pip comes with a simple user guide. It is compatible with Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE) and has earned the CII Best Practices passing badge. It is very useful for beginners which gives a simple introduction to static source code analysis tools. It is designed for use on Unix, Cygwin, Linux-based systems, and macOS as a command-line tool and only requires either Python 2.7 or Python 3.
- Easy to install and use. It is the perfect tool for getting started with code analysis.
- It is free, open-source software with OSI-approved license,
- Works even if you can’t build the software
- It is super fast and can examine larger programs in a relatively very little period
- It has a greater hit density (hits per thousand lines of source code).
With the help of these code review tools, the quality of the software gets improved by eliminating the possible bugs in the program. These tools automate the review process which in turn minimizes the reviewing task of the code and overall quality of the Software gets improved by locating the issues that were unnoticed in the initial phase of development.
You are looking for best code analysis tools for you and your team. You need a way to measure the quality of your source code. It’s better to know how open source codes work, what different static analysis tools do, and how they work in different industries. This article addresses static analysis tool comparison, static analysis tools pros and cons and reviews.
That’s why, today, I would like to share with you the most comprehensive and detailed list of Open Source Code Quality Analysis Tools.