Have you ever wondered what are the best free open source software for your business? If you spend a lot of time building websites, you undoubtedly need to use some form of open source software. However, that doesn’t mean every piece of software is right for you.
There is a huge amount of open source software freely available that can help you to get your work done. If you aren’t familiar with the concept of open source software, this article will help get you up to speed. Open source software is typically developed by volunteers or by companies that make the software available at no charge in order to encourage feedback and bug fixes. The method works well and there are hundreds of examples of open source software used in large, successful enterprises around the world. Each month, an article is posted in this series highlighting open number one (or top) rated open source products selected for quality, popularity, and usefulness.
GIMP was launched in 1996 and is one of the most popular open-source image editing software present in the market right now.
This platform gives tough competition to Adobe Photoshop; unlike Adobe Photoshop, it’s completely free. Users can create new graphic design elements and take advantage of the built-in support for filters, layers, and photo enhancement features.
To make the project more appealing, the users can download plugins developed by GIMP open source community.
- It can operate on Windows, macOS, as well as on Linux.
- The interface can be fully customized.
- Various advanced editing tools are present.
- Layers, Filters, and automatic picture enhancements are the cream on top.
- 150 standard effects and filters are available.
Python is a programming and scripting language commonly used by developers. That’s why it is said to be one of the best open-source software for developers.
It is used to create web applications, mobile applications, video games and many more. Due to the presence of extensive standard libraries, Python is often considered the battery-included language.
Today, it is a widely-used programming language. All the renowned industries leverage Python as it allows programming in Object-Oriented and Procedural paradigms.
- The programs are generally smaller as compared to that of Java.
- The USP of Python is a huge collection of the standard library.
- Big tech companies like – Google, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Dropbox, Uber leverage Python.
- Most widely used multi-purpose, high-level programming language.
- Easy to code.
3. Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox is said to be one of the most successful open source projects globally.
It is a web browser just like google chrome and was released in 2002. It helps the users with a simplistic user interface and an intelligent address bar.
For various Linux distributions, it is the default web browser. Earlier, it lost some of its customer bases after the launch of Google Chrome, but recently Mozilla gave a wonderful transformation to Firefox, and now it gives tough competition to the former.
- The browser is equipped with phishing and malware protection.
- Outdated plugins can be automatically detected.
- Interrupted downloads are automatically continued.
- It has fast graphics acceleration for videos and images.
- Provision of tabbed browsing is also available.
It also gives a Python package specifically for advanced-level features like tensor computation and TorchScript. Various deep learning software is built on Pytorch like Tesla Autopilot, PyTorch Lightning, and Catalyst.
- Provides a rich ecosystem of tools and libraries.
- It is well supported on a majority of the cloud platforms.
- C++ interface is also available.
- Provides high-level features like Tensor Computing and Deep Neural Networks.
- Provides ease of use and flexibility in eager mode with the help of TorchScript.
GNU is a congregation of software that can be used as an operating system or used as parts with an OS.
This operating system respects the freedom of the users. It’s a UNIX-like OS indicating that it is an amalgamation of many applications, libraries, even games. The job of this software is to allocate machine resources and to talk to the hardware.
- Differs from Unix as it is free and has no Unix code.
- The development started in 1984, known as the GNU Project.
- It is used with Linux.
- Has its own kernel – The Hurd.
- Hurd is a technical project.
6. VLC Media Player
VideoLAN Client or VLC is a multimedia application created by VideoLAN project, an open-source development group.
This is a media player that is primarily used to play audio and video both. It’s evident that this media player has dominated the industry for many years in terms of popularity.
The USP of VLC is that the user can play audio and video of any format and the fact that it provides the playback feature which makes it different from its competitors.
It’s also constantly upgraded with new and advanced features like –
1. 360-degree video support for VR headsets
2. The ability to stream to other devices (like Chromecasts)
- It can run on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS.
- Files of any format can be played using this software.
- The user can also add subtitles from third-party sources.
- The playback feature is by far the best feature
- It can be used to stream media on the local as well as on the Internet.
Audacity is a free multi-track audio editor and recorder; provides numerous effects to be applied on audio to make it more appealing to ears.
The versatility makes it unique- one can edit recordings, conversations and can make music also. The key features of this software include recording audio from different sources, processing audio, and many more.
There are many examples of open-source software, but with over 110 million downloads, Audacity is the most popular download from FossHub.
- It can record live audio.
- One can cut, slice, mix and copy the sounds.
- Has the ability to convert tape recordings into digital sounds.
- Sound files of various formats like AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3, or Ogg Vorbis can be edited using this software.
- Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems support this software.
WordPress is a free, open-source CMS (content management system) written in PHP which uses MySQL database.
Earlier it was only known as a blogging platform but now it has evolved to be much more than that. 41.4% of the top 10 million websites use WordPress now.
Thes best thing about WordPress is, it handles both, the backend as well as the frontend of the websites. With the use of WordPress, one can create blogs, E-commerce websites, Business websites, E-learning websites, Portfolio websites, and many more.
- Thousands of plugins are available.
- Available in more than 70 languages.
- Already optimized for search engines, and there are various SEO plugins available also.
- One can browse for different themes to make your website or blog more attractive.
- It’s very user-friendly.
Bittorent is specifically for peer-to-peer file sharing(P2P). It allows the users to distribute files via the Internet, which is done in a decentralized manner. It is one of the most common and efficient communication protocols.
To make use of this, a person has to use a Bittorent client on their Internet-connected computer systems. It is also used to share files like TV shows and video clips or songs. Various organizations are using Bittorent to distribute their own or licensed works.
- Primarily used to minimize the pressure on the server.
- One can download torrents in bulk quantity.
- Analysis indicates that it accounts for about 35% of all Internet traffic.
- Large software, and ISO-images, operating systems can be downloaded at a higher speed.
- Best suited for popular and new files which interest many people.
PHP stands for hypertext pre-processor. It is a scripting language used mainly for web development. The plus point is that it can be embedded into HTML. It is said to be the best open-source software example.
This language comes in handy for managing dynamic content, session tracking, and creating e-commerce sites. Many popular databases, like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server can be used with Python.
It encrypts data, and the user can add, delete, modify elements within the database through PHP. As per recent trends, it is said to be the best open source software for developers.
- The syntax of PHP is C-Like.
- It can collect data from files, save data to a file, anyone can send data, return data to the user through emails.
- It supports various protocols like POP3, IMAP, and LDAP.
- It can even run the largest social network(Facebook).
- It is also used to control user access.
11. Brave Browser
Brave is a privacy-focused open-source browser developed by Brave Software. The feature that differentiates it from other browsers is that in the default settings Brave Browser automatically blocks online ads and website trackers.
If the users want to turn on the ads, they can alter the default settings. The May 2021 statistics indicate that Brave has 32.4 million are active monthly on Brave, and a network of 1.2 million content creators are also active.
- It offers a peer-to-peer networking protocol.
- Blocks trackers, ads, and scripts by default.
- Provides automatic HTTPS connection upgrades.
- Replaces the removed ads with ads from its own network.
- Its financial foundation is dependent on its’ share of ad revenue value.
Now that we have provided you an extensive list of the open source software examples leverage the benefits that these offers.
What do you think? Which is the best open source software, according to you?
If still, you are not sure about that then give it a try and learn every bit of technology without any boundations and take help from similar-minded people from the common communities.
Dive deep into the realm of open-source and find exciting software free of charge. We hope this list of open source software will help you along your way.