This article provides free open source software examples that you can download for free and use in Visual Studio. The software includes several tools for the .NET Framework, Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), and Microsoft Silverlight 4. You can also view a list of useful links to other free open source downloads.
Looking for free open source software? Ready to look under the hood and see what’s inside? These pages will help you get started with open source.
Mozilla Firefox is said to be one of the most successful open source projects globally.
It is a web browser just like google chrome and was released in 2002. It helps the users with a simplistic user interface and an intelligent address bar.
For various Linux distributions, it is the default web browser. Earlier, it lost some of its customer bases after the launch of Google Chrome, but recently Mozilla gave a wonderful transformation to Firefox, and now it gives tough competition to the former.
- The browser is equipped with phishing and malware protection.
- Outdated plugins can be automatically detected.
- Interrupted downloads are automatically continued.
- It has fast graphics acceleration for videos and images.
- Provision of tabbed browsing is also available.
LibreOffice is a complete office suite that offers presentations, documents, spreadsheets and databases.
Unlike Microsoft Office, which is not accessible for everyone due to its pricing model, LibreOffice is totally free.
To support it, its users can make donations when they download. So, it has a huge community of contributors.
It is available for Mac, Linux and Windows and it also has a live chat and a forum where you can turn to when searching for help.
It also gives a Python package specifically for advanced-level features like tensor computation and TorchScript. Various deep learning software is built on Pytorch like Tesla Autopilot, PyTorch Lightning, and Catalyst.
- Provides a rich ecosystem of tools and libraries.
- It is well supported on a majority of the cloud platforms.
- C++ interface is also available.
- Provides high-level features like Tensor Computing and Deep Neural Networks.
- Provides ease of use and flexibility in eager mode with the help of TorchScript.
VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is one of the most popular open source software examples that you can use for free.
This multimedia player is used for video, media and audio files and it plays discs, webcams, streams and devices. Most of the users use it for streaming podcasts as well.
It allows you to optimize your audio and video files for a particular hardware configuration and also offers a plethora of extensions and skins which allows you to create customized designs.
What’s more, it runs on different platforms such as Android, Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, iOS and more.
WordPress is a free, open-source CMS (content management system) written in PHP which uses MySQL database.
Earlier it was only known as a blogging platform but now it has evolved to be much more than that. 41.4% of the top 10 million websites use WordPress now.
Thes best thing about WordPress is, it handles both, the backend as well as the frontend of the websites. With the use of WordPress, one can create blogs, E-commerce websites, Business websites, E-learning websites, Portfolio websites, and many more.
- Thousands of plugins are available.
- Available in more than 70 languages.
- Already optimized for search engines, and there are various SEO plugins available also.
- One can browse for different themes to make your website or blog more attractive.
- It’s very user-friendly.
Blender is another of the best open source software examples of 2021.
It is a 3D graphics and animation tool that supports motion tracking, simulation, animation, video editing, rendering, modeling and much more.
It also offers a set of modeling tools and features including real-time viewpoint prereview, multi-resolution and support for Planar tracking and Tripod solvers.
Bittorent is specifically for peer-to-peer file sharing(P2P). It allows the users to distribute files via the Internet, which is done in a decentralized manner. It is one of the most common and efficient communication protocols.
To make use of this, a person has to use a Bittorent client on their Internet-connected computer systems. It is also used to share files like TV shows and video clips or songs. Various organizations are using Bittorent to distribute their own or licensed works.
- Primarily used to minimize the pressure on the server.
- One can download torrents in bulk quantity.
- Analysis indicates that it accounts for about 35% of all Internet traffic.
- Large software, and ISO-images, operating systems can be downloaded at a higher speed.
- Best suited for popular and new files which interest many people.
Python is common programming and scripting language used by custom software developers.
According to IEEE, it was the most popular language in 2019. In recent years, it attracts plenty of new users because of its fast-growing field of machine learning.
It is also easy to use which is why most of the developers also choose this open source software.
Brave is a privacy-focused open-source browser developed by Brave Software. The feature that differentiates it from other browsers is that in the default settings Brave Browser automatically blocks online ads and website trackers.
If the users want to turn on the ads, they can alter the default settings. The May 2021 statistics indicate that Brave has 32.4 million are active monthly on Brave, and a network of 1.2 million content creators are also active.
- It offers a peer-to-peer networking protocol.
- Blocks trackers, ads, and scripts by default.
- Provides automatic HTTPS connection upgrades.
- Replaces the removed ads with ads from its own network.
- Its financial foundation is dependent on its’ share of ad revenue value.
Open source software has been a catalyst for the innovation over the last decade, facilitating collaborations across diverse technical communities. Open source libraries provide support for many tasks, and allow developers to quickly design and build applications.