Open source graphic design software will help you make compelling graphics for both print and the web. This site features over 50 free open source software packages that you can download, install and use immediately.
Graphic design software, suitable for Linux and Windows which allows for manipulation of 2-D images such as photographs or drawings. A raster graphics editor, Inkscape supports many advanced capabilities found in commercial editors, including Boolean operations, watermarks, textual flowed text, and gradient meshes. The development of Inkscape is being guided by the needs of its user community.
Krita is a powerful vector graphics creator with a heavy focus on digital painting and illustration. It is mainly used to design comic books. It is free software with advanced templates and features.
Artists designed Krita for top-quality drawing software that is available to everyone. It can help design comic books, drawing such as smooth shapes, vanishing points, advanced selection functions, layer masks, etc. If you want to enter the illustration world, Krita is the best choice in the open-source category.
Gravit Designer is a full-featured free, open source vector design toolkit from the creators of Corel Draw.
The app is supported on Windows, Linux, macOS, and browser platforms.
It is ideal for multi-purpose image editing and graphic design projects counting icon and screen design, illustrations, animations, and presentations.
This app packs a wealth of features for high-end vector design and imagery including a potent text engine, non-destructive Boolean loops, blending integrations, path graphs, multiple fill modes, and a knife tool.
It also features an exceptionally user-friendly intuitive interface that adapts to the user’s needs and preferences for more productive graphic design and photo editing.
The most identifiable perks of Gravit Designer include:
▪ Unmatched precision from the creation to exporting stages
▪ A solid structure composed of powerful pages structured with masters, symbols, and real layers to structure your content
▪ A pixel-perfect layout design featuring powerful grids, auto-layouts, and anchors
▪ Multiple design style options derived from blending modes, multiple borders and fills, compound effects, and shared styles.
▪ A powerful text engine featuring handcrafted text, web fonts, text on a path, and varying text styles
▪ An export feature for exporting high-grade SVGs, PDFs, and Images via multiple assets and slices
▪ A range of advanced functionalities counting EPS and sketch importing, design and image transformations, design templates, and presentations.
As a web designer, Inkscape is a great program to have in your toolbox. The feature-rich vector graphics editor enables users to effortlessly perform complex path operations, edit notes, trace bit-maps, and a lot more. Click here for more information.
Available on Windows, OSX, and Linux, Synfig Studio is a 2D animation software for all creative enthusiasts to bring their designs to life. Depending upon your drawing style, you’d be able to achieve just about any kind of vibe of animation you’re aiming for.
Check one of the complex animations created with this software:https://www.youtube.com/embed/PThy9_RZQ8c?feature=oembed
You can also create something light-hearted and simple if that’s your forte. As I said, it all boils down to what you’re looking to create, and consider it a nod from Synfig Studio.
Talking about the features, it gives you complete control over your vector artwork right from importing it to exporting the finished product. You can duplicate shapes, work with over 50 layers, add filters and apply gradients.
Apart from that, you can totally take over the bone system to accurately structure your design so that their movements look the way you want them to look. This can be easily achieved by utilizing their Skeleton Distortion layer, which helps you to apply complex deformations to bitmap artwork.
You can choose from two different versions – Stable and Development. The former is the one that’s well-tested and proven, while the latter is the newer one that has experimental features and additional bug fixes. Both of them are free to download as this is open-source software.
Pixlr, an Android and iOS-based software, is one of the most popular free, open source online image editing tools for mobile graphic designers and photo editors.
It boasts a tremendous (over 700) combination of free effects, overlays, filters, and borders that infuse it with all essential photo editing functions from image cropping to resizing, whitening teeth, and red-eye reduction.
The app features several premium ads that can be removed by paying $2.99.
Designers can also opt to pay for additional features like stickers and borders.
Pixlr’s user interface resembles Adobe Photoshop’s layout and is exceptionally easy to use.
Using this free tool, photo editors can easily perform these tasks on their Android or iOS handhelds:
▪ Create a variety of photo collages with differing backgrounds, layouts, and spacing
▪ Use the Auto Fix feature to balance out image colour with a click easily
▪ Employ ‘Double Exposure’ to effect double-layering and image blending and give photos a unique look
▪ Stylise photos to give them an ink sketch or pencil drawing look
▪ Accentuate the quality and beauty of selfie photos by removing blemishes using teeth-whitening and red-eye reduction tools
▪ Enhance picture quality via ‘Color Splash’ and ‘Focal Blur’ features
▪ Adjust photo mood using overlays
▪ Mask photos with text overlay or captions
▪ Install fitting borders on images
▪ Quickly and easily resize images without losing quality
▪ Share favourite photo files directly with colleagues and friends via email or social platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Skencil is a vector drawing application. It is available in Linux/Unix/GNU-like operating systems. It enables us to create some great diagrams and illustrations and useful drawings. Skencil is built with an interpreted language, i.e., python, and it is very high-level object-oriented.
- Ease of use.
- Gradient fills
- Write EPS files
- Blend Groups
- Transformed images and text
- Advanced rectangles and curves etc.
Usersnap is a customer feedback software that helps you improve your designs and products with the input of those who are actually using it. Collect ideas, improvements, requests, and satisfaction ratings from one place. Usersnap specializes in customer feedback, from collecting to managing, and ultimately acting on it.
Free graphics application software for Linux, Windows and Mac. Drawings are saved as standard SVG files and can be loaded into Inkscape from other SVG files or directly from programs such as Adobe Illustrator.