You can start learning videos editing with free open source software. There are many free and open source video editing software that can help you create awesome videos. If you’re looking for the best video editor, here’s a list of 10 open source video editors that are both powerful and user-friendly.
For those who take their video editing seriously, or even for those who dabble with editing footage now and then as a hobby, there are numerous options to choose from. However, it is not often that you come across an open source software that is capable of being utilized to perform heavy duty video editing tasks and more.
Designed for Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, Virtualdub is a popular free and open-source video capturing software and video processing software. This software is basically designed to process the linear video streams like recompression and filtering. To store the captured video, it uses AVI container format.
- Virtualdub supports your video capturing with fractional frame-rates.
- It lets you create AVI2 (OpenDML) files and multi-segment AVI clips with real-time downsizing, field swapping and noise reduction.
- Clean interface layout comprising status bar, menu bar, caption and info panel.
- MPEG-1 integrated and Motion-JPEG decoders.
- Without even touching the video, you can remove as well as replace the audio track.
- Decompressing and recompressing facility for both audio and video.
- Facility of previewing the video while live streaming.
- Easy adjustment of frame rates, frame decimation and 3:2 pull-down removals.
- High speed video editing, both in the processing pipeline and in the interface. It captures with 1.3x times the real-time speed i.e. 40 frames per second on a C450 and the speed rises up to 1.8x times i.e. 55 fps with a little tweaking.
- It is a ‘no risk involved’ kind of software where source code can also be made available if requested.
- Multi-track Video Editing
- All kinds of audio/video format supported with the help of FFmpeg libraries
- 2D Title maker
- Customizable Interface and shortcuts
- Proxy editing to make things faster
- Automatic backup
- Timeline preview
- Keyframeable effects
- Audiometer, Histogram, Waveform, etc.
Platforms available on: Linux, macOS and Windows.
Kdenlive is an open source video editor (and free) available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux distros.
If you are on a Mac, you will have to manually compile and install it. However, if you are on Windows, you can download the EXE file and should have no issues installing it.
OpenShot is an easy-to-use, free, and powerful Open Source Video Editors.
Open shot Key Features:
- Quickly split and trim video.
- Fade, slide, bounce, and animate anything in the video project.
- Add as many layers as you need for watermarks, background videos, audio tracks, and more.
- Apply various video effects.
- Visualize audio files as waveforms.
- Reverse, slow down and speed up video.
- Add title to video.
- Render beautiful 3D animated titles and effects.
With the latest released version 0.999, the free and open source video editing software – Pitivi is constantly ranking among the top software programs in the list. The beautiful and intuitive user interface of the software keeps its audience engaged. The software is capable of displaying hundreds of animated effects, filters, and transitions. It is flexible and efficient and it works under frame-rated and independent timeline. It is an easy to learn software and exciting to master as well.
- Pitivi is supported by the GStreamer Multimedia Framework and so, it can accept any format of videos for editing.
- It facilitates accessing more than 70 industry-standard transitions and filters, a hundred video and audio effects and animated effects.
- The software is flexible and efficient and it always works on the basis of true precision.
- It comprises some time-saving features like rippled and roll editing, real-time trimming previews, real-time searching and assets management, grouping and snapping, non modal cutting, play-head centric zooming and editing, smooth scrolling and automatic zoom adjustment.
- Accurate to nanosecond that is much better than being frame-accurate.
- Pitivi represents loudness in a clear and accurate manner so that it becomes easier to balance things or detect pattern for beat matching and clap synchronization easily.
- This software is available in different languages.
- The intuitive user-interface and self-documenting ability provide the user all contextual hints that one requires knowing about the essentials so that it does not require to checking the user manual every now and then.
- Pitivi perfectly integrates with the GNOME desktop or any Linux desktop environment.
- It facilitates background processing and automatic project backups.
- Frame and sample accurate editing
- Edit video in real-time
- Can be controlled using MIDI, keyboard, Joystic
- Multi-track support
- VJ keyboard control during playback
- Plugins supported
- Compatible with various effects frameworks: projectM, LADSPA audio, and so on.
From video cutting and splicing to major complex tasks like video masking, there is so much one can do with Blender Video Editing Software. The software comes with a built-in video editor. Blender, mostly known for animations, is a non-linear video editing application that is available in all stable versions of Ubantu, Debian and Fedora.
- Award-winning software for making and editing short films and movies. Basically, it is designed for animations.
- Extensive modeling tool-set capable of re-topology, sculpting, curves and modeling.
- Comes with full-fledged built-in compositor that lessens down the need to export third party programs.
- Image support: JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, TARGA, OpenEXR, DPX, Cineon, Radiance HDR, SGI Iris, TIFF
- Video support: AVI, MPEG and Quicktime (on OSX)
- 3D support: Alembic, 3D Studio (3DS), COLLADA (DAE), Filmbox (FBX), Autodesk (DXF), Wavefront (OBJ), DirectX (x), Lightwave (LWO), Motion Capture (BVH), SVG, Stanford PLY, STL, VRML, VRML97, X3D.
- Adding video, images, masks, scenes, audio and effects up to 32 slots.
- Filters, transitions, key frames, adjustment layers, speed control and so on.
- Audio mixing, scrubbing, syncing and waveform visualization.
- Histogram displays, chroma vectorscope, luma waveform and live preview.
- Keyframes viewer
- Cut, Split, and add different clips
- Major audio/video formats supported
Video editing might sound like a difficult challenge, but it doesn’t have to be. These free and open source video editors allow you to create beautiful and simple videos all on your own!