The Best Open Source Book Reader is an eBook reader that allows you to read books in different formats, including TXT and PDF files. This software can be installed on your computer and over one million free eBooks are available to download from the Internet.
Our most advanced reader yet! This Best Open Source Book Reader has a super sharp display that’s easy to read in both daylight and lowlight settings — even in direct sunlight. Plus, it acts as a back-lit color e-reader with a 6-inch E Ink display and front light for nighttime reading.
Calibre is one of the oldest and the best Epub reader for your Windows machine. The app is packed with features allowing you to do things like downloading Epubs, managing metadata, downloading covers for books, transferring books from one device to another, and even converting books from one format to another.
Calibre is not only good for reading normal Epub novels but also magazines, comics, and more. If you are looking for a good Epub reader for your Windows PC, Calibre is certainly the topmost contender for the job.
FBReader is a great free open source eBook reader for Windows. Besides Windows, it is available on various other platforms including the popular ones which are iOS, Android, Linux, and MacOS X. In it, you can read eBook in a variety of formats including EPUB, FB2, MOBI, HTML, RTF, and more. You can find all essential eBook viewing options in it which are required to enhance your reading experience. Some of these options include page navigation, text search, find previous/ next, rotate text, etc.
Features to look out for:
- It provides a Network Library to search and download an eBook from its inbuilt library. It shows a full list of eBooks which match your search text.
- It has a Library Tree which shows all previously imported eBooks to quickly open any of those eBooks.
- You can open Table of Content of an eBook and easily go to a particular page or section of the book.
- It lets you view basic information of an eBook such as Author name, Book Title, Tags, Series Title, etc.
- You can customize your preferences according to the reading environment you want. These preferences include Color Schemes, Scrolling Options, Font Formatting, Language, Line Spacing, Margins, etc.
Cool Reader is a zippy and easy-to-use eBook app. While I think the app’s icons are reminiscent of those found in Windows Vista, Cool Reader does have several useful features.
Pros of Cool Reader:
- It’s highly configurable. You can change fonts, line and paragraph spacing, hyphenation, font sizes, margins, and background colors.
- You can override the stylesheet in a book. I found this useful with two or three books that set all text in small capital letters.
- It automatically scans your device for new books when you start it up. You can also access books on Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive.
Cons of Cool Reader:
- Cool Reader doesn’t have the cleanest or most modern interface.
- While it’s usable out of the box, you really need to do a bit of configuration to make Cool Reader comfortable to use.
- The app’s default dictionary is proprietary, although you can swap it out for an open one.
Icecream Ebook Reader is easy to use the tool. It helps you to track your reading progress, add notes, translate text, use bookmarks, and more. The tool allows you to read e-books in EPUB, MOBI, CBR, and other readable file formats.
- It allows you many check how many pages are left to read and allows you to continue from where you left off.
- You can transfer your e-book collection from one Windows PC to another.
- It helps you to find a book base on the author’s name or title.
- This tool enables the use of navigation scrollbar to browse pages faster.
- Select eBook text to copy, translate in Google search result.
- Supported platforms: Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Sumatra PDF is the next free open source eBook reader for Windows. As its name suggests, it is basically a PDF reader which also supports eBooks and comic books of various other formats. These formats include EPUB, MOBI, CHM, DjVu, CBZ, CBR, etc.
Features worth mentioning:
- It has a multitab interface using which you can open multiple eBooks at once and read them one by one.
- You can view bookmarks of an eBook too.
- It lets you view eBook in a Single Page or Facing (dual page) mode.
- You can enable Fullscreen mode to read eBook in a distraction-free mode.
- Some preferences like Default Layout, Default Zoom, etc., can be customized too.
Adobe Digital Editions is an easy to use eReader. The tool also allows you to download and purchase digital content, which can be read both online and offline mode. It allows you to search for keywords across all chapters in your eBook.
- Allows you to borrow eBooks from many public libraries for use with Digital Editions
- Helps you to organize your digital publications and manage devices with Adobe Digital Editions
- The read allows you to access eBook across multiple file-formats, including EPUB, EPUB3, and PDF.
- Supported platforms: Mac OS, Windows, iOS, Android
Kindle Paperwhite is EPUB reader that enables you to read comics, magazines, and audiobooks without any hassle. It allows you to pair speakers or Bluetooth headphones to listen to your story.
- It offers glare-free display to readers
- Provides 8 GB storage.
- You will get instant access to bestsellers and new releases.
- Works on single battery.
- It has built-in adjustable lights.
- Provides free audiobooks.
- This EPUB reader is available in various colors.
Yes, that really is the name of this eBook reader. It’s the most basic of the eBook readers in this article but don’t let that (or the goofy name) put you off. Booky McBookface is easy to use and does the one thing it does quite well.
Pros of Booky McBookface:
- There are no frills. It’s just you and your eBook.
- The interface is simple and clean.
- Long-tapping the app’s icon in the Android Launcher pops up a menu from which you can open the last book you were reading, get a list of unread books, or find and open a book on your device.
Cons of Booky McBookface:
- The app has few configuration options—you can change the size of the font and the brightness, and that’s about it.
- You need to use the buttons at the bottom of the screen to navigate through an eBook. Tapping the edges of the screen doesn’t work.
- You can’t add bookmarks to an eBook.
Have you been looking for an open source book reader that is easy to use? Open Source Book Reader will replace any book or PDF file with just one click and read it to you.