Best flowchart open source software list is a comprehensive collection of open source flowcharts and other diagramming software. It provides an operating platform for developers to create business solutions with the ultimate goal of solutions that are easy to install, use and maintain.
In this article we listed the best flowchart open source software. We listed them in no particular order because they all have their own unique features that make them special.
Dia Diagram Editor
Dia is an open-source flowchart software to create diagrams for GNU/Linux, MacOS X, Unix, and Windows. The software can be used to draw many types of programs, including entity relationship programs, flowcharts, network diagrams, etc. many features make it a perfect software to fulfill your needs.
- Optional OGDF based automatic layout plug-in feature
- Groups can be scaled and rooted
- Predefined symbols and objects to quickly create diagrams
- Excellent cross-compatibility between various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, macOS X.
- Very easy to use and layout is quite basic
- The final work when exported may not have the same quality as the initial sketch
- Very simplistic layout and lacks bright colors
bpm’online studio free (free)
bpm’online studio free is the free online diagram software & visual solution that will accelerate the process design. This tool is the product by bpm’online. In a unified environment, you can design process diagrams with simple visual tools. The app standardizes process management.
You will find this tool convincing for simplified and collaborative process design. The software is free for unlimited users. The team jointly designs processes and helps to simplify the process documentation.
(Source: bpm’online studio free)
- Organizational charting
- Data Import and Export
- Drag and drop
- Mind Map
- Unified CRM platform
- Process Design
Perhaps the biggest thing that separates Inkscape from the others is the fact that it is a vector graphics software, much like Adobe Illustrator. It makes use of SVG as its native format. Moreover, it has an extension ecosystem and has a passionately fervent user base, especially considering the fact that it is free software.
- It has cross-platform usage
- Makes use of vector graphics
- Comes packed with tools such as Bitmap tracking, drawing, calligraphy, and drawing tools
- Abundant and easy to use Path Tools
- Decent placement design
- The interface needs some work
- Mac version is a bit tricky to use and comes with no guide for beginners
- Not very easy to learn and use
Creately (free and cloud-hosted)
Creately is a cloud-hosted app and is free for 5 public documents. The other plans of this software come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. It offers the simplest way to visualize plans, processes, ideas, and concepts. Even when you are offline, you can access diagrams with this tool. You can convert your thoughts into visuals with this app.
You can gain the desired size by clicking on the shape and dragging it across the screen as this tool offers ease of diagramming benefit. It is apt for software engineers, network engineers, tech leads, business consultants and analysts, web designers, UI engineers, students, teachers, and people who need technical diagrams.
With this web-based diagramming tool, you can draw flowcharts, wireframes, mock-ups, UML diagrams, mind maps, info-graphics, organizational charts, and other types of diagrams. You can draw, sketch, and collaborate with this tool.
- Collaborate with anyone
- 1000’s of templates
- Drag-drop to draw
- Diagrams Anywhere
- Edit and view
- Accountability via notification
- Zoom able and sharable diagram viewer
- Easy-to-use Interface
- Offline and Mobile Working
- Connected Apps
- Real-Time Collaboration
- Mind Map
- Templates and Flowchart
- Organizational Charting
- Data Import and Export
Calligra Flow is one of the most simplistic flowchart software out there. It is tightly integrated with other Calligra Flow apps, which makes for fluent integration and opens up a multitude of features to be used.
- It gives access to wireframes
- Offers up many effects and complex path operations such as path flattening, boolean set operations, whirl/pinch effects, etc
- The UI is customizable, with freely placeable dockers and toolbars as well
- Comprehensive Path Editing Tool, with capabilities offered for on-canvas editing
- Layer Docker helps in easily handling complex documents and files
- Does not allow collaboration
- Can’t import or export graphic elements
SmartDraw (free, free trial)
SmartDraw is another easy-to-use and powerful diagramming tool. This free diagram software is the only alternative to Visio that runs on a Mac and Windows. The user can comfortably use this app.
The SmartDraw drawing tool can be inserted into Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and Sheets. On any computer or tablet, the user can run this app. There are perfect layouts in minutes due to the powerful automatic formatting system in this tool. It holds power to make anything.
From flowcharts to floor plans, the user will get all the different types of diagram templates. With standard engineering scales, the user can have true CAD-like drawing abilities. It serves as a breadth of content as it has over 34,000 symbols and over 4,500 templates.
(Source : SmartDraw)
- Flowchart & Templates
- Collaborate Anywhere
- Drag & Drop
- Mind Map
- Data Import/Export
- Organizational Charting
- Intelligent Formatting
- Professional Results
- Integrates with the tools
- Breadth of Content
- Import and export Visio
- Engineering Power
- Development platform
yEd Graph Editor
yEd Graph Editor is an excellent, up-to-date tool for flowcharts, diagrams, trees, network graphs, and more. You can download the app as a JAR file (which requires Java on your system) or an EXE (which includes a Java installer). It’s powerful and versatile, but the trade-off is an ugly, Swing-based interface.
Key features and highlights:
- Very little effort for professional-quality charts.
- Auto-arrange flowchart elements from messy to clean.
- Organic and orthogonal edge routing for connections.
- Several export options, including PNG, JPG, SVG, and PDF.
This online diagramming software is very versatile and easy to use. Use this software to effortlessly create AWS architecture diagrams, UML diagrams, floor plans, flowcharts, Venn diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams, SWOT analysis, and many more.
This will help you to improve team communication and collaboration by quickly explaining all the complex organizational processes in visual form.
- Drag and drop option to draw flowcharts with ease
- Wide variety of symbols available, and you can add your own stencils from an SVG-based artwork.
- Effortless collaboration for group projects
- Ease in integration with an existing system such as Chrome, Google Drive, Google Docs Addin, MS word Addin, Confluence
- Extensive library for various kinds of shapes
- The free version will make your diagram public after 15 days
We just made your search for the best open source flowchart software easier. Just check the chart below and find for yourself the best open source flowchart software depending on your needs. The flowchart application is a simple way to structure information and display it via charts or diagrams.