Open Source Accounting Software for Small Business – Free Open Source Finance / Accounting Software for small businesses. | Easy-to-use small business accounting software, ideal for bookkeeping services, accountants and small for-profit businesses. Great for contractors and consulting companies! | Free Open Source Finance/Accounting Software: GnuCash is a free and open source double-entry bookkeeping system.
As a small business, you want the accounting software to work for you, not against! That’s why we designed our open source accounting software to be easy and user-friendly for any small business owner.
From agriculture and construction to real estate and telecommunication, Odoo accounting caters to businesses of all sizes, regardless of industry. It offers both on-premise and cloud deployment and is available as an app for Android and iOS devices.
A preview of Odoo Accounting’s general ledger.
Odoo possesses various differentiators that set it apart from the competition.
- Free Forever: This platform is free for infinite users so long as you don’t need additional applications or hosting options. The community/open-source version only has invoicing and payment capabilities.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Scan and upload PDFs or images to vendor bills and automate their creation with AI.
- Customer Portal: Obtain order statuses, invoice and payment tracking through the client portal. Patrons may revise their plans, order upgrades, downgrade or unsubscribe in one centralized location.
- QR Codes: Scan QR codes with the user’s native banking program to complete transactions. The QR code is also available on PDF invoices and appears on payment screens for quotes and bills.
- Bank Statements Import: Leverage OFX, QIF, CSV or Coda formats to import bank statements when a bank isn’t supported through Odoo.
- Balance Sheet Calculation: Add current year earnings to balance sheets automatically. Profit and loss is promptly calculated according to selected dates. Administrators can lock entry dates for all users.
- Multiple Currencies: Work with various currencies and automatically change currency rates at different intervals.
- Revenue Dashboard: Access various metrics such as MRR, recurring revenues, churn, CAC, CAC ratio, growth, forecasts, ARR, CLT and CLTV.
- Tax Audit Report: Evaluate tax report calculation for audit purposes. Pick a line and click the audit button to audit journal items.
- Reconciliation Report: Gain reconciliation reports to account for differences between bank statement balances and accounts.
- Country-Specific Statements: Work with country-specific statements, including Intrastat reports, VAT statements, profit and loss/BS of the country, VAT subjected customer listings and more.
This apparatus offers automatic reconciliation propositions, additional journal item registrations, record searching and the inputting of manual reconciliations for open and paid invoices. You may also immediately work with partial and full reconciliation propositions from invoices or bank statements. The automated reconciliation function allows bank statements to sync from more than 15,000 banks in the U.S., Canada and New Zealand in real time.
The tax engine offers a wide range of tax calculations such as price included or excluded, percentage, grip, partial exemptions and more. This module delivers tax reports in accrual or cash-based formats according to a particular region. You may also implement tax rules that automatically cipher values on invoices.
Establish default configurations for accountants and adviser roles, allot infinite users with various access rights as the administrator and automate business flows with inter-company regulations. Govern company subsidiaries within the same system with the user management feature. You can even arrange documents into several journals by department or type of activity and split roles throughout multiple users.
Handle numerous pre-made templates ranging from cash flow statements to profit and loss. Link multiple companies’ bookkeeping data into groups. You may also take notes on reports and include more modifiable rows.
Although Odoo Accounting has all of the common open-source accounting software features, it offers supplementary tools for your accounting practices. These additional accessories include:
- Account Receivable: Build invoices with payment conditions, numerous taxes, discounts, price lists and more as well as print out invoices or send them via email.
- Credit Management: Promptly propose emails, follow-up letters and responsibilities for users to administer credit collection procedures.
- Bills Payment: Trace deposit tickets and print checks in large quantities.
- Accounting Analytics: Allocate a single accounting entry into several analytic accounts with analytics tags and pliable distributions.
Like most solutions, this program has some limitations. These drawbacks include:
- It doesn’t offer payroll modules.
- It lacks third-party debt recoveries.
- It doesn’t account for unpaid fees or penalties.
- Personal finances manager
- Tailored for Plasma Desktop but compatible with others too
- Cross-platform (Windows, Linux, and macOS)
Skrooge is one of the most useful personal finances manager by KDE. It is originally tailored for the Plasma Desktop but other desktop environments are compatible.
Supports most of the basic features (reporting, budgeting, etc.) and allows you to work on some pretty big data sets.
GnuCash is an open-source accounting software intended for small businesses with an on-premise deployment. It’s specialized for the finance and software industries. It’s also available as an app for Android devices.
A preview of GnuCash’s bank reconciliation module.
This program offers various differentiators that set it apart from its competitors.
- Customization: Obtain options to customize the display style of the register.
- Financial Statements Import: Import Intuit Quicken QIF files via an assistant. Support open financial exchange (OFX) protocols.
- Data Storage: Stow data in XML format or a SQL repository with SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Check Printing: Print checks in standard formats on common check stocks and create tailored check layouts via a customization graphical user interface (GUI).
- Mortgage and Loan Repayment Assistant: Have a guided dialogue to initiate loan payments as scheduled transactions.
- Localization: Obtain internationalized dates and currencies and work with more than 50 languages.
The account reconciliation tool allows users to compare transactions recorded into an account with a bank statement.
Showcase financial data with bar charts, pie charts and scatterplots with the reporting element. You may also work with pre-built reports including profit and loss statements, balance sheets and portfolio valuations amongst others. You may adjust report formats and contents accordingly.
Despite GnuCash only possessing half of the common features, it has supplementary appliances that can meet your business needs. These extra attributes include:
- Double-Entry Accounting: Ensure every transaction debits one account and credits the others with an equal amount so the difference between income and expenses accurately aligns with the sum of assets and liabilities.
- Transaction Scheduling: Formulate recurring transactions and adjust amounts and timelines.
- Cash Flow Management: Account types, when paired with double entry and equity accounts, allow you to develop reports such as profit and loss and more.
- Portfolio Management: Update portfolios instantly, track individual stocks and add supplemental pricing sources at regular intervals.
- Register: Autofill documented transactions, mark transactions as cleared or reconciled and exhibit several accounts on one register.
Most ERP solutions have limitations. GnuCash is no exception. These drawbacks include:
- Lacking multi-user functionalities.
- Does not include accounts receivable or billing features.
- Does not offer an app for iOS devices.
Bookkeeping-On-Line is an open source accounting software for small businesses. It can help you keep track of both business assets and personal finance. It also has a great deal of integration capabilities with other applications through plugins.